CfPS financial scrutiny training
Many authorities recognise the need to invest in financial scrutiny training in order that members can provide constructive challenge to the assumptions underpinning a council’s approach to financial planning whilst also capitalising on the social intelligence implicit in councillors’ community leadership roles.
This action-focused one day workshop is aimed at Scrutiny Chairs, Scrutiny Officers, Scrutiny Members, Backbenchers, Chairs of Audit, Section 151 Officers and Senior Finance Officers.
Through participation in this session delegates will:
- Better understand how financial scrutiny can engender greater trust between the Executive, Senior Management Team and Scrutiny/Members/Backbenchers enabling the council better demonstrate ‘whole council leadership’ in a climate of reduced funding and organisational transformation.
- Develop a clearer understanding of the barriers impeding scrutiny’s contribution to the budget setting process and the levers available to secure more meaningful engagement;
- Explore an in-depth case study showcasing the development of financial scrutiny in a Welsh Council: from conception to evaluation and identification of areas for improvement;
- Collectively identify practical solutions aimed at strengthening financial scrutiny within individual councils.
The purpose of session is to stimulate thinking about scrutiny’s different financial roles and what can be done to strengthen impact.
Themes to be explored include:
- Rationale for financial scrutiny and what it looks like elsewhere
- Barriers to effective engagement
- Understanding how scrutiny contributes to the Council’s financial resilience
- Scrutiny as a reflexive system – starting a chain reaction
- Exploring structures and methodologies – ensuring form follows function
- Presentation of proposals and knowledge sharing
- Outputs and Impact
- Working within a political environment
Places cost £195 + VAT per person for Local Authority delegates and £225 + VAT per person for commercial sector delegates.
Buy 3 get 1 free – In recognition that authorities may benefit from sending multiple delegates to the same training event. This discount is applied automatically at check-out.
This event was very popular and oversubscribed last year so early booking is recommended to secure your place.