centre for public scrutiny

Promoting the value of scrutiny and accountability
in modern and effective government

Current time: 22-07-2014, 07:20 AM Hi there, Guest! (Login)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CfPS Conference - staying overnight
17-04-2012, 11:21 AM
CfPS Conference - staying overnight
Hi all,

I thought, following a call from a delegate, that I should provide some words of advice on hotel venues in London for those of you who will unavoidably be staying overnight in order to come to the conference.

We don't have deals with any hotels this year, and haven't block-reserved any rooms either, but reference to the below should enable you to get some fairly cheap deals.

The conference is in Westminster, so a cost-effective solution if you're looking for somewhere accessible to stay would be Wembley or Harrow. From Harrow you can get to Westminster by taking a Metropolitan Line service to Finchley Road and then crossing over the platform for a Jubilee train to Westminster. The journey takes around 40 minutes. From Wembley it's about half an hour. Wembley and Harrow are both in northwest London. If you are arriving from the west at Paddington and going that way, don't be tempted to get the Bakerloo line - it takes ages)

Hotels in Harrow

You will want to stay in hotels in Harrow town centre, close to Harrow on the Hill tube station. (Don't stay in Harrow on the Hill itself - from the station, it's a punishing and steep fifteen minute walk to the top of the hill). There are several - Comfort Hotel and Quality Inn are both part of chains, the Harrow Hotel is an independent and is a bit basic. You should be able to get rooms in all three for under £60. (You may wonder why I know so much about hotels in Harrow - several years ago I did a scrutiny review about them. Yes really).

Hotels in Wembley

In Wembley you have a wider choice and it's closer to central London. You will want to stay in a hotel as close as possible to Wembley Park station - not Wembley Central. This is right by the stadium and as long as there are no events on (which I don't believe there are). There's a Hotel Ibis, a Premier Inn and a Quality Inn within a few minutes walk of the station. Again, you should be able to find rooms for no more than £60.

Central London

Central London hotels are obviously convenient for the conference itself but you will pay more for the privilege. If you are arriving at Euston, King's Cross or St Pancras you may want to stay at a hotel in Bloomsbury - there is a selection of interchangeable hotels including the County Hotel and the Royal National Hotel, some of which have seen better days but all of which are relatively cheap for central London (£70 - £90 per night). Closer to the conference venue itself you have the Victoria Park Plaza and the Waterloo Park Plaza - both quite expensive.

Research and Information Manager, CfPS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
CfPS Conference - staying overnight - Ed Hammond - 17-04-2012 11:21 AM