centre for public scrutiny

Promoting the value of scrutiny and accountability
in modern and effective government

Current time: 20-08-2014, 10:22 PM Hi there, Guest! (Login)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Health and Wellbeing Boards and links to Scrutiny
01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
RE: New Health and Wellbeing Boards and links to Scrutiny
Dear Leanne,

With respect to your query, I've done a bit of work on establishing links between the HWB and scrutiny.

In the London Borough of Waltham Forest, we aleady have a shadow HWB which is chaired by the Chief Executive. We were looking to invite him to our next health scrutiny meeting however wanted to present to him a briefing on how scrutiny would interface with the HWB as well as the local Healthwatch.

Whilst researching this, I found there are numerous breifing papers on what the white paper/ Health & Social Care bill will mean for local government but nothing which shows how a the various oversight organisations will work with each other.

As such I have put together a flow-chart which provides an 'at a glance' view of how things could work in Waltham Forest and have made recommendations to the Chief Executive. This is not set in stone, because we are awaiting the outcome of the bill but its a start.

I've tried to attach the file to this post, but it appears I am unable to do so. If you send me your e-mail address I can send this onto you.

My e-mail: farhana.zia@walthamforest.gov.uk

Farhana
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
There are a large number of GP consortia 'pathfinders' but 'early impementer' HWBs are just getting going - so now is a good time for OSCs to be influencing how the Boards emerge.

Of course, joint commissioning arrangements had already developed in some areas and there are lessons from how those have/are working and how they have interacted with scrutiny. It would be interesting to hear the views of colleagues with experience of joint commissioning.

I'd be interested in seeing your flow diagram - I have created a 'relationship map' based on the current proposals in the Bill. I will be sharing this at our Healthy Accountability Forum on 7th March.
02-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for your responses, much appreciated!

I will email you today as it would be good to see what you have worked on thus far.

Thanks,

Leanne
07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
healthscrutineer Wrote:There are a large number of GP consortia 'pathfinders' but 'early impementer' HWBs are just getting going - so now is a good time for OSCs to be influencing how the Boards emerge.

Of course, joint commissioning arrangements had already developed in some areas and there are lessons from how those have/are working and how they have interacted with scrutiny. It would be interesting to hear the views of colleagues with experience of joint commissioning.

I'd be interested in seeing your flow diagram - I have created a 'relationship map' based on the current proposals in the Bill. I will be sharing this at our Healthy Accountability Forum on 7th March.

Hi Tim, can you email a copy of the flow diagram earl.piggott-smith@wolverhampton.gov.uk
Thanks
11-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Tim, grateful if you could also send me the flow diagram - Laura.Johnson@redbridge.gov.uk

Many thanks
30-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Hiya,

Has anyone made any further progress on this?

Thanks,

Leanne
30-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Our 'Accountability Works for You' framework, launched at the LGG Conference yesterday, is an ideal resource for building arrangements for transparency, inclusion and accountability into the work of health and well-being boards and to test relationships between Boards, Consortia and scrutiny.

This morning Andrew Lansley announced £1m to support the development of HWBs. He also specifically mentioned the strengthening of powers of overview and scrutiny committees - this is interesting in the context of previous proposals to carry out health scrutiny through arrangements not based on OSCs.

We hope to be working with HWB/Consortia/OSC partnerships from the autumn.