centre for public scrutiny

Promoting the value of scrutiny and accountability
in modern and effective government

Current time: 15-09-2014, 09:27 AM Hi there, Guest! (Login)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Joint Scrutiny Committees
01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
RE: Joint Scrutiny Committees
Helloooooo.......

We have a joint scrutiny panel to monitor a joint waste project but we just observed the gen principles of committee law I think rather than designate it a formal committee. So we still publish reports, take minutes, meet in public etc.

The new Local Government Wales measure will give us the power to set up Joint Committees but you are the wrong side of the bridge for that. Does s 21 LGA 2k help???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Emily - legally, it's a grey area. Currently, powers are still limited to the LAA and local improvement targets. As the LAA superstructure is dismantled it will become increasingly difficult to use this aspect of the 2007 Act powers.

There are still ways and means of using the 1972 Act to establish a joint committee to look at any issue, but before doing so, some delicate work with partners may be necessary to ensure that the whole process won't be a great big waste of time.
05-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I'm afraid I can't help with the legal powers for joint scrutiny. We just get around this by having joint County and District Task and Finish Groups without formal committee status. I have a slightly different issue that I would really appreciate hearing the views of others on about joint scrutiny, and rather than start a separate topic I thought it best to join in with this discussion...

We currently have an arrangement for County and District scrutiny reviews in Bucks whereby every joint review is reported to all districts in the county (4) plus county goint to all scutiny committees and cabinet. The downside of this is that it is a very lengthy reporting chain and difficult to to get buy-in across such diverse audiences.

Does anyone else who conducts joint scrutiny review report in to every council that participates? or just to the council that is leading on the secretariat for the review?

The second issue is that our protocol is that we take turns between the county and districts on leading on joint countywide reviews. Does anyone else have a similiar set up where a district leads a county wide review? Does this work as a model elsewhere?

Any views would be very welcome. My email is sturnbull@buckscc.gov.uk

thanks

Sara Turnbull, Overview and Scrutiny Manager, Bucks County Council