Hackney has been working closely with the BBC lately to develop and promote the Big Weekend on Hackney Marshes
next summer, linked to the Olympics. The launch involved Leona Lewis, Plan B, Trevor Nelson and Phillips Idowu who have all been Hackney residents (not sure about Plan B actually).
Also, over the last few years the Council has run the Hackney One Carnival
which is a big local celebration. There's also a Hackney Fringe
which is part of the East London Create Festival
Not much mention anywhere that I've seen of that fact that:
- Creation Records was based here;
- Primal Scream made a lot of Screamadelica here;
- Gilles Peterson's record label is called Brownswood (a ward in Hackney) which is where it's based;
- Throbbing Gristle were been based in London Fields;
- Marc Bolan was from Hackney (Homerton)
- Green Gartside of Scritti Politti is based in Dalston
- The Very Best formed when Esau Mwamwaya was sold a bike by someone from Radioclit when working in a furniture shop in Clapton
- Hackney Colliery Band are (I'm presuming here) from Hackney
- plus, erm, Pete Doherty lived here and it's where Martine McCutcheon comes from
We don't have any examples of scrutiny having looked at pop music unfortunately but please get in touch if you want to know more about any of the festivals above. I can put you in touch with the right colleagues, plus there's bound to be more I've missed.