centre for public scrutiny

Promoting the value of scrutiny and accountability
in modern and effective government

Current time: 29-08-2014, 05:15 AM Hi there, Guest! (Login)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
riots - a role for scrutiny ?
15-08-2011, 09:48 AM
RE: riots - a role for scrutiny ?
My thought would be no - not a formal scrutiny on the whats and whys. Feels to me like a conversation that needs to happen in a broader and more fluid space. Some of the best conversations I've had myself have been at the Peckham Poundland.

But the impact of the riots and looting has changed things in a profound way, so we will (and should) hear it finding its way into discussions in scrutiny meetings. Does that distinction make sense to others?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Shelley Burke Wrote:My thought would be no - not a formal scrutiny on the whats and whys. Feels to me like a conversation that needs to happen in a broader and more fluid space. Some of the best conversations I've had myself have been at the Peckham Poundland.

But the impact of the riots and looting has changed things in a profound way, so we will (and should) hear it finding its way into discussions in scrutiny meetings. Does that distinction make sense to others?

Hi Shelly, thanks for the reply. I agree with you that informal conversations often provide a useful insight in different views about such a major public event, which is likely to have policy implications for years to come. I like to think that scutiny should have a role in exploring issues like this which have wide impact on communities - but from experience it does not seem happen - for example level of preparedenes for floods and snow in past. It will be interested to see if the issue does appear as a formal agenda item for discussion either as agenda item or a review.
15-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Earl and Shelley,

My take.- A key policy issue for scrutiny I guess, is how ever decreasing resources are allocated? Does scrutiny work need to ensure that it properly (and takes time to) examine the equality impact assessments on budget reduction, service change proposals? Does resource allocation support policy objectives of organisations and so on. Does policy implementation advantage some at the cost of others? And if so, how does scrutiny in its work gather evidence of this?

Does scrutiny ensure that it takes a whole system approach to impact analysis through for example, the EIAs, and therefore looks at the proposed allocation of resources of other public sector providers? What is the likey collective impact on a locality and or group? Does it make sure that members examine whether risks and mitigation have been adequately covered and or given equal attention through the EIA process?

Business recovery after major incidents in a locality - from ICT security to floods to riots, looting etc - should in my opinion be considered by scrutiny. This at least teases out resillience issues - if it is done after the fact. However I agree with Shelley that I'm not sure about scrutiny role per se following the major incidents we saw last week...

Sunita
15-08-2011, 04:30 PM
In each of the places affected there is going to be a wide public debate about the causes and effects of the riots - scrutiny has a role to play in these discussions, and I think that this is probably the line to take rather than thinking about a separate "review" of the short term or long term response.

Agree with Sunita about the important role that scrutiny can play in investigating some of the more nuanced issues that impinge upon the causes of the violence, and trying to link them back into the council's wider policy-making processes.