centre for public scrutiny

Promoting the value of scrutiny and accountability
in modern and effective government

Current time: 24-04-2014, 12:09 PM Hi there, Guest! (Login)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 - implementation
06-02-2009, 04:40 PM
RE: Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 - implementation
To update you, the dates for the "launch events" for the CCfA guidance have now been announced.

Milton Keynes Council - Thursday March 5th 2009
London Borough of Harrow - Friday March 6th 2009
Birmingham City Council - Friday March 13th 2009
Kirklees Council - Monday March 16th 2009
South Gloucestershire District Council - Friday 27th March 2009
They will run from 10am to 2pm, and they are all obviously free. Lunch is provided.

If you're interested please contact Cheryl Flack at the IDeA - cheryl.flack@idea.gov.uk - be quick as I expect that they will begin filling up soon, especially the London one.

The guidance itself is still on track for (electronic) publication next Friday.

Ed
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi Ed, these dates clash with other scrutiny events that are taking place for example the County and Unitary Officer Network and an INLOGOV Health Scrutiny Seminar. Any chance that the Events part of the new site could be developed to help avoid these clashes by encouraging dates to be listed... its not an isolated incident, another recent example was CLG and DoH holding scrutiny events on the same day. A great example of joined up goverment but if we can't get it right ourselves...

bring on the grand scrutiny calendar

cheers

Matt
10-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Matt's suggestion re the scrutiny events calendar is a good one - so long as people tell us about their events! But I think that the wiki offers potential to facilitate this.

For example its self-updating nature provides the potential for regional (and other) scrutiny networks to maintain their own pages for events, projects and discussions, to share amongst their network members where they don't have regionally-based webpages, and even if they do, to share these with other networks to spread learning and experiences further.

I'd be interested in colleagues' views on the practicalities and opportunities for this but we see it as something that will help us support the networks that we are going to be working directly with in Y&H and SW, as well as something that the national Forum can use to facilitate its discussions between meetings.

For the CfPS team, the fact that the pages of the website that we maintain are now much easier to update (not requiring any knowledge of html for example) means that we can more easily input new content and make links to other pages in the site, for example between the wiki and the events sections...

In relation to these CCfA events, apols for the clash but not entirely within our control as coordinating with IDeA, CLG, and the councils concerned who had kindly offered to host them on a very tight timetable was never going to be ideal...
12-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Ed,

I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the commencement order for ss19 of Police and Justice Act 2006 as I can't seem to find anything about in the usual places?
12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Craig Goodall Wrote:Hi Ed,

I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the commencement order for ss19 of Police and Justice Act 2006 as I can't seem to find anything about in the usual places?

Good question. The last commencement order was issued in October, and there's been nothing since. The Home Office have advised that they are proceeding on the basis of commencement at the end of April though, so I presume we should see something shortly.