centre for public scrutiny

Promoting the value of scrutiny and accountability
in modern and effective government

Current time: 01-08-2014, 05:44 AM Hi there, Guest! (Login)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CfPS evidence at the Justice Select Committee
26-04-2012, 08:48 AM
CfPS evidence at the Justice Select Committee
I've been advised that it's likely that CfPS will be asked to give oral evidence to the Justice Select Committee in their investigation on the Freedom of Information Act. We submitted evidence to the committee's inquiry a few months ago and it's on this basis that we've been asked to come in and speak to MPs in person.

The committee has not heard a great deal of evidence yet about FOI and local government, or wider issues of transparency insofar as they affect local government. I'm advised that the session in which we will participate will focus on these issues, and as such I'm keen to gather evidence from practitioners - both informal and formal - that we can use to give the committee a rounded view of the challenges and opportunities around transparency in local government. I'm keen to encourage the committee to think about FOI less in the context of the mechanics of the FOI regime itself, and more about how the Government has sought to build on FOI through measures such as the code of practice on information and other injunctions from DCLG about publishing more local information. It's only by examining the wider issues, I think, that a rounded view of FOI can be reached.

As such, any thoughts and views on these issues would be valued. You can contact me directly on ed.hammond@cfps.org.uk or 020 7187 7369 if you would prefer not to post below!

Research and Information Manager, CfPS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply